Sunday 30 December 2012

I guess I was a wallflower in high school

I just finished reading "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" and it really brought me back to my days as a tortured adolescent.  I identified a lot with Charlie, the brilliant and emotional wallflower, who loved reading and music.  And I also write the way I talk.

In high school, I was really angry with everything.  I hated my abusive, overly-critical mother.  I hated my high school with its ethnic divisions.  I hated my teachers who talked about my unused potential.   I hated my teachers who didn't recognize my potential.  I alternately loved and hated my best friend.

I spent a lot of time listening to sad music and crying in my room. I cut myself. I looked at bottles of pain killers like they were a way out.  I wrote songs and poetry.  I smoked and drank whatever I could find.   It sounds so pathetic, and it was, but I was lost...struggling to find meaning to my life and thinking that happiness would never come to me.

In the book, Charlie's teacher tells him to read a book like a "filter" and not a "sponge."  And I think that's how we should be in life, not just with books.  As a child and a teenager, I was a sponge.  I absorbed every negative thing every said or done to me.  As a child my mother physically abused me.  As a teenager she verbally abused me.  I wallowed in my misery, and turned it over it my head listening to Tori Amos, Suzanne Vega, and other artists with gut-wrenching, tear-draining music.

I was reckless with my life, not because I felt invincible, but because I didn't care.  Because I thought nobody cared.  I skipped school, shoplifted, smoked, drank...and it's only by the grace of God that I never became addicted to drugs or pregnant.  I even went through a brief anorexic period, but only because I couldn't stomach bulimia.

I thought I was in love with a few boys, but always unrequited because nobody wanted to be the white guy with the Asian girl and nobody wanted to be with a girl who was smart.  And it wasn't until the last year of high school that I realized those boys actually might have returned my feelings, but didn't have the balls to make a move because social pressures were just too overwhelming.  Not until one got drunk and pulled me into his lap to snuggle at the after-grad party.  Not until one came over and made out with me after we graduated high school. 

And it wasn't until university that I actually began to "participate" in life.  I met my now husband and he was so different from me.  He wasn't a miserable adolescent.  He had a great high school experience and went to university with a purpose.  He worked hard for himself and not out of parental expectations.

And looking at his life, I realized that I was not a victim, but playing one.  I was torturing myself trying to punish my mother, but I was ruining my own chances at a great life in doing so.  And I started to be a filter instead of a sponge.   Just because someone says something bad about me, doesn't make it so.  And I did have a lot of potential that I wasn't using.

So my life really started at 18.  I no longer torture myself with sad music, although I still appreciate a great tune.  I still love a good book.   I still believe that what people do and say to me is more a product of who they are than who I am. I'm successful in my career.   I found love in my husband and our children. And even with all of my challenges, I'm happy.  It's a choice...and I'll continue to make it.